Settlement sparks outrage in Armenia, with indignant protesters storming authorities headquarters in Yerevan.
Howdy, and welcome to Al Jazeera’s persevering with protection of the Nagorno-Karabakh battle. Anealla Safdar in London and Shereena Qazi in Doha might be bringing you updates.
A fast recap of occasions to date:
- Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia have signed an settlement to finish six weeks of fierce combating in Nagorno-Karabakh.
- Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan described the event as “unspeakably painful” in an emotional Fb publish.
- Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev tweeted: “This can be a historic day, An finish is being put to the Armenia-Azerbaijan Nagorno-Karabakh battle.”
- Anger is boiling in Yerevan. Twenty minutes after Pashinyan’s Fb publish, protesters compelled their manner into the principle authorities constructing in Yerevan, calling on the prime minister to go.
- Pashinyan on Tuesday mentioned he had concluded the peace deal underneath strain from his personal military, which mentioned all army motion in Nagorno-Karabakh had stopped and the scenario was calm.
- The deal got here after Armenia misplaced management of a strategic metropolis in Nagorno-Karabakh often called Shusha to Azerbaijan and Shushi to Armenians, and after the unintentional downing of a Russian aircraft by Azeri forces.
Blended reactions in Azerbaijan
Seymur Kazimov, our stringer in Baku, has been interviewing Azerbaijanis following the deal announcement.
Elesger Mammadli, from Agdam, mentioned: “I’m fully in opposition to of Russian peacekeepers in Azerbaijan. Russia is not going to play any position making peace within the area. It’s in opposition to the independence and sovereignty of Azerbaijan. The place there may be Russia, there isn’t any peace.”
Mushfiq Akhundov, from Terter, mentioned: “My metropolis has been bombed since September 27. Terter is at all times affected by struggle. Within the final 30 years, tensions had been very excessive right here. Now, I’m completely satisfied. All of those tensions have ended.”
Mughan Huseynov, from Barda, mentioned: “I’m very completely satisfied, it’s the finest answer. Nothing might be higher. Now we have already achieved our targets.”
Russian, Turkish overseas ministers to debate Nagorno-Karabakh truce, says Moscow
Russian overseas minister Sergey Lavrov and his Turkish counterpart Mevlut Cavusoglu have mentioned the Nagorno-Karabakh deal to finish the battle by cellphone, Russia’s overseas ministry spokeswoman instructed the Echo Moskvy radio station.
Armenian PM says army actions in Nagorno-Karabakh not over but: Reuters
Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan says army actions within the Nagorno-Karabakh area should not fully completed but, after signing an settlement to finish the battle.
This stance contradicts the military’s announcement, that the scenario is calm.
Armenian PM says he signed the deal on military’s insistence
Pashinyan says he made the choice to signal the ceasefire settlement over the Nagorno-Karabakh area after the military insisted on it.
Armenia, Azerbaijan and Russia mentioned within the early hours of Tuesday they’d signed a deal to finish the army battle over the area after greater than a month of bloodshed.
Protests in Yerevan
The settlement sparked outrage in Armenia, with indignant protesters storming the federal government headquarters within the capital Yerevan the place they ransacked workplaces and broke home windows.
Crowds additionally entered Parliament and demanded the resignation of Pashinyan, who earlier described his participation within the accord as “unspeakably painful for me personally and for our folks”.
There are experiences of additional protests deliberate for Tuesday.
Turkey says Azerbaijan achieved ‘sacred success’
Turkey says the deal secured essential features for its shut ally Azerbaijan within the battle with Armenia.
“The brotherly Azerbaijan has achieved an essential achieve on the battleground and desk. I sincerely congratulate this sacred success,” Turkey’s overseas minister Mevlut Cavusoglu mentioned on Twitter.
“We’ll proceed to be one nation, one spirit with our Azeri brothers.”
Learn extra right here